Saturday, December 15, 2012

The Hobbit, A Review (spoiler free)

Here Goes a SPOILER FREE Review of the Hobbit.


THE HOBBIT

Rating: 8.4/10


The Hobbit has a strong cast, and some incredibly beautiful scenery. Some of my personal favorites were Martin Freeman (Bilbo), and James Nesbitt (Bofur). Martin Freeman stars in the British TV series Sherlock, and does an excellent job with that, so I was glad to see his outstanding performance in the Hobbit. James Nesbitt stared in the British TV series Jekyll where he did an outstanding job, he also did not disappoint in the movie. The locations were, as always, beyond beautiful and the lighting was very stunning. Their filming style was more artistic than before, and it added a sense of mystery to the land.


The actors and actresses in the movie all were good at their roles. When watching a movie I enjoy seeing how many of the secondary characters screw up their roles, especially ones that are supposed to be dead. For this movie there were no massively noticeable errors that I noticed, may it be that I was sitting extremely close to the screen rendering my ability to catch them hindered, but I would say acting-wise they all did an outstanding job.

The soundtrack is up for debate. Though it was excellent, and did incorporate some new pieces that are incredibly beautiful it failed in my expectations. I was expecting an evolution from the Lord of the Rings soundtrack, not a large one but enough that there would be a distinct difference. Unfortunately Howard Shore kept many of the same themes without changing them. Many parts were just pieces of soundtrack from the beginning. And of the new soundtrack, in the movie they played very few prevalent ones, and of those that they played it was mostly the same song. Don't get me wrong, the music is beautiful, but I wanted innovation. I must admit, that hearing the Shire theme makes me emotional and I'm glad it made the cut because I feel that for the context, it made sense to be in the film, but for most of the others variation was wanted by me.

Overall I would give the movie an 8.4/10 (yes 8.4 I like to me precises, and I wouldn't give it a lowly 8, or a high 8.5). I really want to give it a 10/10 because of how awesome Martin Freeman is, but I can't being myself to rate it that, for the director massively screwed up. I have to admit, in the first 15 minutes (or so) of the Hobbit it was on a trajectory for being the best film I had ever seen, but then 30 minutes later it dropped in the list, past the first three Lord of the Ring's movies. It irks me to my core when a movie tries to be funny to much. I hate comic relief I like intense deep emotional films. The first thee movies capture this, now don't get me wrong they had comic relief, but it was spaced out and at appropriate times. I didn't see Frodo making fat comments at Sam in the middle of Mordor, that's how bad some of the joke placements are in the  Hobbit. I thought I was going to see the Hobbit, not The Watch (two hours I'll never get back, don't see it, I actually stop watching half-way through (referring to The Watch)). They had so many unnecessary jokes, especially at serious times. I just can't handle that. On top of that the goblins and trolls voices were horrible. The creatures are supposed to be monster, but apparently they had yet to hit puberty. I've heard 3-year old's with deeper voices, heck they sounded like squeakers. (An xbox-live thing).

I would recommend this be seen in theaters, it's an excellent movie and actually made me excited that it is going to be a trilogy. They are really adding to the back story behind the Lord of the Rings in ways that impress me. If you don't mind comic relief or a beautiful (but not innovative) soundtrack, you will love this movie. It is entirely enjoyable. Again I can not stress enough about how excellent of a job Martin Freeman did with Bilbo. I recommend seeing his work Sherlock. It is quite good.


Once I re-read the Hobbit, I will write a more in-depth view of the movie that will contain spoilers. For now, Good-morning.



Again, for my reviews if you think I'm entirely wrong and a complete idiot, tell me I love a good grill. If you liked it, thank you for your time. Enjoy the movie. And no I didn't forget about the 7th Doctor.









No comments:

Post a Comment