Sunday, August 18, 2013

Christianity and Science

Where science thrives, so does Christian bashing, or so it seems to be for me in the United States. I can't say I entirely blame the scientists, just go onto any forum about evolution or the big bang and you'll find a christian tripping over themselves in an attempt to prove that they are right, where there statements are often fragmented, not well thought out, and here's the kicker: most of their stances aren't even in the bible, which they claim to know better then the back of their hand. The conversations always divulge to fire and brimstone where the man of science spills out theories as if they are fact, and the "bible thumper" tells the scientist that they are going to Hell. It's a lose-lose situation.

These Christians may feel that they have accomplished something by sending their foes into a blind rage wondering how the other can even breathe, but at what cost? The Catholic church has done it's fair share of damage to the world of science, and if it wasn't for them, we'd probably be more technically advanced. Do I hate them? No, I just find their arrogance to be disgusting. Baptists, Lutherans and all the other denominations are also to blame, all have played a part. The cost of these people who prowl the world via internet, campus or wherever result in the scientific community generally looking down upon those who call themselves Christians.

It is very angering to me because the two don't have to war like they have for centuries. Each has a shared guilt in this moronic conquest to prove the superiority of the other.

Why....


To The Church

Let me start with the church, you speak evils and hate on such an intense level I wonder if you have ever opened a bible yourself. Sadly most people of faith blindly follow the words of their pastor/priest without checking to see if what they are saying makes sense, we are taught to be Christ like, not pastor like.
 Without knowing the bible on a personal level how can one truly call themselves well versed in god? I'm not saying you have to be experts in the bible, but realize the gravity of your actions when claiming what you believe is in the bible, because often it is not.
What do I mean? When quoting a verse a few things must be taken into mind: you must understand the context of the time, you MUST understand the context of the verse, those one hit wonder verses typically have nothing to do with what you speak, and finally know who is being addressed in the book. Without those key points your quotes are pointless, because you are human and lack the authority to put words in gods mouth. If you know beyond a doubt that your verse is applicable in both the situation and in context(s) then by all means use it.
Next, realize the bible is about faith and spirituality, and is a guide for how to live, as well as many other things. But you know what it isn't? The bible isn't a scientific road map as many of you seem to think. In the bible I notice they do not mention subatomic particles, or panda bears. Does this mean they can not exist? No, of course not, it just did not find that mention such objects was important. Did the bible state that some animals are capable of altering their abilities to survive in otherwise unsurvivable habitats (like invasive species for example)? No, because again it was not important.
Why was it not important? Because believing in intelligent design by god through evolution, or believing that the Universe originated in a single point, or anything along those lines do not have to do with your righteousness (right standing with god). I am no biblical expert, but I know this to be true, how?

Ephesians 2:8-9 -"For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not as a result of works, that no one should boast."

Romans 3:28 - "For we hold that one is justified by faith apart from works of the law."

Galatians 2:16 "Yet we know that a person is not justified by works of the law but through faith in Jesus Christ, so we also have believed in Christ Jesus, in order to be justified by faith in Christ and not by works of the law, because by works of the law no one will be justified." 

I'm going to stop there but there is plenty more stating the exact same thing. It does not say that you are saved though belief in Jesus Christ and belief in scientific principals told by the church, no just saved through Faith by Grace, no science is involved in the salvation aspect, therefore I see no reason why a book meant to help guide and redeem you would need to include such matters at such a precise level.

Also does it not say:

Romans 12:18 - "If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all."

So please stop picking your battles in at attempt to do who knows what because in the end all you are accomplishing is widening the schism between science and Christianity.

Did Jesus not come and teach us love? That despite the cruel world we live in, we are to be respectful loving people? It is hard yes, and we will all fail, but why do we have fight useless fights that only separate others further from god?
God is love, and we need to strive to be better, not because we have to be better but because we have been given a beautiful gift, a gift we should offer (NOT FORCE) it to others. If they wish not to heard, why make them? It is their choice. 

There is no spiritual gain, nor godly gain in blasting those with different views. God is just, and perfect while you are not. No matter how perfect you believe you are you still sin, so what makes you good enough to have the right to judge everyone else? You don't.

I just don't like him because he's cockier than
Hawking, and less intelligent

To the (Christian disliking) Scientists

My statements will be shorter to you, but that does not make you any less at fault. One thing scientists seem to fail to understand is that what you believe is not set-in-stone. Yes, many of the theories ad laws are mostly likely correct, considering they can accurately depict the actions of an object in a set field of requirements, but they do not always prove to be perfect.
The more advanced we get the more we learn, but as we learn the ideas and beliefs we had tend to evolve, or even completely fall apart. On top of that the more we learn, the less we realize we know. You are not perfect, just because your theory has a few points to it doesn't make it correct, so stop saying everyone else is wrong because yours is absolutely right. In order for it to be absolutely right, without any doubt you would need a non-compromised observation, which sadly the human mind itself is compromised and is known to alter things, thus how can you say anything you know is certain?

I am not just saying your deputing of a god, but the way you treat other theories. You act as if yours alone is the only way, which is not how real scientist should think. Their minds should be open to anything, seeing as how the universe is infinity complex and ever changing to think you alone are right is foolish. 

So to put it more clearly: Scientist need to open their minds, not just to the possible existence of a god, but to so many theories that get pushed back because they don't believe it fits the standard model, only to find twenty years later it was exactly what they needed. You are holding the human race back, keeping them at a walk when they could be running. Open your mind, there is so much to see and so much that we don't know.


My Thoughts

I am pursuing Astrophysics in college and I also am a devout christian. This to some would seem like a paradox, but for me it just makes sense.

I believe what the bibles says, I believe that god created the universe I believe Jesus died for me, and I believe that there is a heaven and a hell. I also believe the bible is meant to guide me spiritually, as well as make me into the person I am supposed to be.
But I also believe the world is billions of years old. I believe gravity exists (as I hope everyone else does...), I agree with most if not all of the current physics models, because to me it makes sense. The universe has laws and regulations to keep it going, I can deny it all I want but logic and observable experiments prove that it functions in certain ways.

To me the universe is beautiful, and studying and learning about the physics and astronomy is not a test against my faith, but rather builds my faith. The vast complexity, and beauty only makes me respect, and love my god even more. For me worship is looking at his work and seeing the creativity and wonders he has made. It is truly amazing.

Why can't I believe that a creator set in motion the world around me? We know not what started the Universe, so why can't I believe it was god? I do and it is just as valid as believing the universe started with particles that were just there.

I pursue the knowledge of how the universe works to better see the beauty of my creator, that is how I can reconcile the two, because they don't need to fight. It is people that make the two clash.







If you see a typo or something that doesn't make sense, I had a migraine while writing this so just ask if you're confused. I am a logical person, so if that is in question, please comment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment