Thursday, July 12, 2012

We All Need a Hero


In light of recent events that have transpired, I have turned to the more serious side for this post. Though it can be seen as both dark and light, it does not justify, nor take sides. The title does indicate the subject of the post, and I warn you, if you do not wish to be so somber, then do not follow in my footsteps and read this post. A few posts ago I wrote about a hero who knew his death was ever so close, and that he knew that he would be a hero. He writes warning the audience of the evils of back-story, about how a hero as a symbol is unbreakable, but a hero as a man is but dust and can be so easily destroyed. He warns that the more you know about him, the less of a hero he will be. He puts the burden onto the reader, telling them the choice is there to let people have a hero, or for them to see him in the real light. And let me tell you this: people need heroes. Heroes are a symbol of hope, to give people something to hold onto in the dark. Because lets face it, life can be challenging. I know that when I stare into the abyss I am looking for a hero, whether that be a god, or human, I still look. Don't we all?
Which leads me to my main point. If there is a man who is of such high stature that people see him as a hero, do we dive into their lives, into the details that we do not wish to know? If a man of such high stature, is found to be involved in something terrible, do we look away, or do we cast them out on the road to be beaten by the angered? (Figuratively) If it were any other person, we would tear them apart and hate them but because of the importance of that one person we can look past the issues. Especially if they were only partially involved. And to note I am not referring to celebrities, I am referring to someone who's life has had an huge impact on a society, helping to raise it from the dirt. A man who seemed of genuinely good intention.
A part of me, wants to be the one driving the bus when we hit an individual who has done wrong doing. Just because they are a hero, doesn't make them above the law. They should be punished like the rest of us, I mean they are people too. Why would we have laws if people of power could get out of them (which does happen). Now I do understand that a group of people is covering there behinds, when we should be lighting them on fire. They were not involved in the incident which I refer, but they are doing all they can to blow it out of proportion and away from them, so the facts I hear I am not entirely sure how accurate it is. The man, the punching bag may be no more involved that being in the same area, we will never truly know. We only see the facts, that are scewed by the demons that run the show. But am I a demon for having a glimmer of pity for a man held as a god?
Another part of me, stands fulling behind the man. I do this for two major reasons. One reason being the fact that he is being tarnished due to a failure in a group of others. He might not have been perfect in the incident, but I know his role is being blown up for the sake of the rears of the members of high. The second reason for my backing of a man who some are attempting to bring down to the level of monster is that we need a hero. This person has done so much for so many. He has a statue, and various honors in his name. This man was a god to his community. (In a non-blasphemous way). Even with the exposed imperfections the hero has stood at his stature by the opinion of the majority. You see the predicament? This man still holds a high ranking with many. Dragging him in the dirt after his death is no longer an issue about him. It's those trying to break his status as hero, for their personal gain.
The man is dead, no damage can be done to him, but to the people that need a hero and to his family, there is room for destruction. Should this be tolerated? Should people lose a hero that they see as a father, so that assumed justice can be had? What if the society benefits from his cleansed status as hero, should it be left alone?
Finally, a rift has been struck in the society that holds him up, a split in those who feel he is still a hero and innocent. And those that see him as a man and want him struck down. At what cost does justice come in a case like this? Is justice worth the pain? Is justice worth the lost hope, the loss of a hero?
On this Issue I will not openly take sides, but now you have seen the dangers. I leave you now, hoping that the choice ahead, does not involve one so drastic.
We all need a hero. 

No comments:

Post a Comment